Saturday, May 30, 2009

Busy Week

This has been a very good, but exhausting week. Due to a lack in staffing this year, I volunteered to go through lifeguard training so that I will be able to help fill some gaps at different times throughout the summer. I have never really considered lifeguarding as something I could do. I've never been that strong of a swimmer, mostly due to lack of practice I suppose. So I was nervous about going through the training.

The part that worried me the most was the swimming test. 500 yards of swimming (2 laps each of 5 strokes) and 2 minutes of treading water with hands above the water. I was able to get a little practice in over the last month, but due to Daniel's birth, not as much as I would have liked. but the class started out with the swim test as the first thing. And I passed!

The rest of the week was a combination of classroom/book time and practice in the pool doing all sorts of rescue scenarios. 11 of us took the class together (mostly summer staffers). It was really pretty fun. The downer part of the week, though, was the length of the class. I spent about 12 hours a day in training. It was hard to spend that much time away from Daniel and Emily, but hopefully worth it in the end.

Today marked the end of training and I am now an official certified lifeguard!

3 comments:

loverstreet said...

Happy Birthday Em! I hope you have a wonderful day and know you are loved by so many people.

BenBuckley said...

Bro - coupla cases of coooold brewskies every week for a coupla months and your buoyancy will improve dramatically!!
Love,
Bucky :-)

Crystal Sweet said...

Hey Em
Happy Birthday. Congrats on the new addition to your family. He is beautiful. Love Crystal