Arrived this morning at 10:00 am:
Daniel Evan Sargent
Weight: 7lbs. 8oz.
Length: 19in.
General Demeanor: Perfect
Emily woke up this morning at about 5am with some discomfort in her lower back. She felt that she was having some pre-labor mild contractions so we called our doctor around 6:00 and she said to go ahead and come in. We were on the road by about 7.
Emily was doing alright, a little discomfort in her back and lower abdamin, but otherwise we figured we would have to wait around for quite a while to see how things progressed. Although her pain was increasing a little, the ride in from the coast was pretty uneventful.
We checked in to the hospital birthing center right around 9:00. The nurse hooked up some monitors and decided that contractions were coming close enough together to do an exam. At that time Emily was 6 cm dialated and fully efaced. The nurse called the doctor and we were transferred to the birthing suite.
It was now about 9:20 and Emily was having steadily increasing contractions. A nurse came in and inserted an IV and the anethtesiologist was called because Emily thought she might want an epidural. As it turned out, she never got the chance for that. Around 9:40, Em had her first big contraction. The doctor barely had time to get into her scrubs and Emily was ready to push. Two more contractions and the baby was out!
What an amazing event! Little Daniel Evan born into the world in a whirl wind. We barely had time to even realize what was going on. Em was absolutely amazing. She gave birth completely naturally, surpassing her own expectations.
Unfortunately, I forgot our camera cable, so I can't get any pictures on the computer, but I promise we will get them up as soon as possible. Right now we are all doing wonderfully. Daniel is sleeping plenty and Emily is trying to get some rest between feedings, nurses, and visitors.
4 comments:
I can't say that I'm not at all jealous of that birth story, but that's not the point of this... Congrats, you guys. I'm so excited to meet HIM - and sort of surprised that IT is a HIM. How fun. Let me know if you need anything at all. We aren't too far away.
I knew it was a boy!! I've been right with everyone so far... :^)
What an amazing birth and so fantastic that it was quick! Thank you for taking the time away from the new baby to update.
We are so excited! I have to admit, I'm with Hannah and I can't say I'm not at all jealous of your birth story, but I am SO GLAD that the birth went well and Daniel is here and healthy! We can't wait to meet him.
Hmm, well I guess you'll have to return those things I bought! : ) Now I know I'm not that great at guessing. We are so excited for you guys! Can't wait to meet him and give Emily a big huge hug for us. Maybe we'll see you soon! Marcy
Post a Comment