Recently I have become very forgetful. From what I've read, forgetfulness is a common symptom of pregnancy, which at first seemed silly to me, but now, based on the "issues" I had yesterday, it seems like I've come down with a bad case of it.
Yesterday morning I left the house around 7:05, which is pretty good timing for me, since it only takes me about 12 minutes to get into work, and I don't have to be there until 7:30, so I decided to stop at Fred Meyer and get a coffee (decaf of course) and a brithday card for a co-worker. As I was paying for my coffee at 7:20 I suddenly realized that I had forgotten the cheesecake that I needed to bring in that day for a staff celebration at school. I decided I might have time to run home and grab the cheesecake, and make it back to school a few minutes late, so I tried to call a co-worker to let her know that I would be late, but of course as soon as I dialed her number, my cell-phone died. So I had to wait around for another 2-3 minutes for my coffee, run back to my car, plug in my phone, and decide what to do. At this point it was about 7:25, and I knew there would be no way I could get home and back to school and get myself ready for the school day before the kids arrived at 7:50, so called Jeff to see if he could bail me out. Luckily, he needed to come into Tillamook anyway to get some supplies for installing our hardwood floors this weekend, so he said he would bring in the cheesecake. I love him!
Well, the rest of the day was about as hectic as my morning. For some reason I could not gather my thoughts. Two different times I tried to get my students attention by counting down from 5, which I normally do, but by the time I got to 1 and they were nice and quiet, I forgot why I was getting their attention! So of course they started chatting again, and I got really frustrated because the noise level would go up and I couldn't concentrate on remembering what I needed to tell them.
By 3:00 I was ready to be done with school, so made some quick lists of things I would need to remember to do on Monday morning, chatted with some people about some weekend plans, packed up my stuff and headed out the door around 4:00 (which is pretty good timing for me). I needed to run by Fred Meyer again to get some groceries for the weekend, but I was glad that I had gotten out of school so early, because I would have time to take Owen for a walk while the sunshine was out (it was a beautiful day!). While I was driving to Freddy's I called Jeff to see if there was anything in particular he needed me to pick up. As I was talking to him, I parked in the parking lot, but I had to leave my keys in the ignition to keep my battery on because my phone was dying again. When I got off the phone with Jeff, I set the phone down, grabbed my purse, locked my doors from the inside, and headed into Fred Meyer...totally unaware of the fact that I had just left my keys in the ignition with the car battery on, with the lights on and my cell phone plugged in. I shopped for about half an hour, and it wasn't until I was heading back to my car and looking for my keys did I realize that they were not in my purse.
Luckily, I happened to spot a friend in the parking lot (you're the best, Jeph Troyer!), and I knew he would have his cellphone on him. After a good chuckle at my predicament, he let me call Jeff. So once again (in less than 12 hours) I had to ask Jeff to come bail me out, but this time he had to come all the way from Rockaway, so it took him over half an hour to get to me. While I waited with my shopping cart in parking lot, I saw a few people I knew, all of whom offered to drive me home or let me call somebody (I love small town kindness), but I told them Jeff was on his way.
When Jeff finally arrived he unlocked my car and helped me load up the groceries, but when I tried to start up the car, it was dead. I knew I had jumper cables, so I figured this would be a quick fix...we could just hook up Jeff's truck to my car, and be done with it. Well, unfortunately the latch that opens the hood of Jeff's truck broke a week or two ago, and he was planning on getting it fixed, but hadn't found the time yet. So we couldn't use his truck to jumpstart my car.
As Jeff was trying to get his hood open I saw a lady I work with and her husband pull into the parking lot. I ran over to her and asked if they could jump start my car. They were more than happy to help out! Again, what a blessing it is to live in a small town and to be surrounded by such kind people! After a few tries we got the car going, thanked them profusely and headed home.
I felt like such a dork for being so forgetful, but I think God used those situations to remind me how much he takes care of me and what a blessing friends and family can be :)
3 comments:
I used to be really forgetful and got frustrated at myself, too. It must be tough working while you are pregnant, too! BUT it's great that you are staying positive!
-Shizuka
I'm still just as forgetful as I was during the pregnancies...I hope it doesn't linger quite as long for you! When I was just three months along with Nathan, I left the wet laundry in the washing machine and put the dirty laundry in the dryer. Not to mention all the times I put the remote in the fridge.
Good job for staying positive about all of it. The keys in the car would have been the last straw for me! :^D
Your story makes me worry. I'm forgetful too, but I can't remember why.
Post a Comment