We are 13 weeks pregnant now! I'm still dealing with the morning sickness a bit, but it's just off and on now, not on all the time. I haven't felt that increase in energy yet though. I'm hoping that will kick in soon. School keeps me busy and focused, but as soon as I get home, I am ready to crash. I feel bad for Jeff. The only times he sees me are early in the morning - when I'm grogy, queasy, and grumpy from having to force myself out of bed - and in the evenings when I'm totally exhausted from work. At least we've gotten a few days off together recently...those have been good.
Last week we had our first ultrasound, and Jeff met my OB in Newberg for the first time. It was so amazing to see the baby! It was 12 weeks and 2 days at the appointment, and we were able to see the heart beating, the ribs, most of the appendages, (baby never flipped over, so we're assuming it has arms and legs on the other side too) and the places where the eyes, ears and brain are developing. As the doctor said many time, "Looks like you got everything in the right place!"
After the appointment we headed into Hillsboro for a bit of dinner and shopping. We needed to stop by Joann's to pick out some more fabric and Home Depot to scope out some flooring. We have decided to redo the flooring in the house, but this decision is proving to be harder that we both imagined. The current carpet throughout the house is dark sage green, which is a decent color, but it is 10 years old and looks like it's 20 years old. It is stained, uneven and matted down in the high traffic areas and both Jeff and I think that new flooring is a must.
This is the main playing area that I imagine we'll use
The plus sides that I can see to hardwood are: A. It holds up a lot better than carpet in the long run. B. It would cheaper and easier for us to put in because Jeff knows how to install it, and we'd only do the main living area and small hallway. C. It looks nicer than carpet if we're thinking about the resale value of the house.
At Home Depot (which is grossly overpriced and not particularly convenient for us) they basically pointed us to their cheapest (price and quality) carpet for our budget. Jeff knows that we could get better carpet for less at other places, but we'd still be looking at paying quite a bit more than hardwood, because we would do all the rooms.
So, along with the 5,000 other decisions we'll be making in the next few months, we also have this one, which is high on our priority list right now because we'd like to get it done this winter. So if anybody has any advice, please share!
5 comments:
Emily -
When we were living in SLC we had hardwood everywhere and I was worried about the same issues with our play areas and baby... then we moved to WY and our house has pergo, hardwood, concrete and carpet... but Ellie spends most of her time on the pergo and hardwood. She has learned to roll over carefully so as not to bump her head and she actually loves scooting around on the wood floor much more than the carpet. I guess what I would do personally is the hardwood and then spend some extra money on a nice, big area rug for the living room.
I'm sure it'll look great no matter what you guys do!!! If you need help, Jeph and I will be there so just let us know!!!!!:)
Emily and Jeff,
I think the hardwood is a good idea. It is easy to see when it is dirty and clean as well. The carpet tends to absorb stuff and vacuuming doesn't get all of the dirt out. For a baby I think it has the potential to be more hygenically safe.
If you need some help after the first of the year I can come down and give you a hand. Also I suggest that you look and Lumber Liquidator's prefinished hardwood.
I agree with my wife, of course. I have noticed that I'm more concerned with Eleanor on the carpet because you can't see the debris on it as well as you can on the wood/laminate. When she is on the prowl, she finds all of the debris and we must be careful to keep her from swallowing it. Sure, you'd have to sweep and mop the hardwood more often, but I'd imaging that you'd have to vacuum as often when your little one gets mobile.
Personally, I like hardwood, but love the durability of tile. This is a superb option for your pupples since dogs have a tencency to scratch up soft floors. I know it doesn't fix the slippage problem at all. Bethany and I are planning to lay a whole bunch of tile, but I have begun to get cold feet a bit. Tile is super hard and althoug wood isn't much better, I'm afraid of a wobbly Eleanor toppling onto ceramic. It truly is a dilemma. My vote is for the hardwood and would happily come over to help in the spring (when we're not snowed in to Wyoming).
Congratulations!!!! I am soooo excited for you guys! :)
-Shizuka
Post a Comment