Saturday, February 20, 2010

Indian Winter?

A little known fact about the Oregon Coast is that every February for one week we get beautiful weather. The rain and wind let up and we get a quick preview of summer. Just one week of sunshine and then it's back to rain and wind through at least the end of April. The daffodils, hyacinth, and crocus spring up and the grass starts to grow again. It's like an Indian Summer in reverse. I guess you could call it an Indian Winter?

Anyway, this week has been it this year. I don't feel like we've taken total advantage of it, but I did mow the lawn the other day and Daniel and I went for a nice hike on Thursday. We went out to Cape Lookout, which is often socked in with ocean fog, but it was perfect this time. I enjoyed being very comfortable in a t-shirt and not worrying about Daniel getting too cold. Enjoy the bright sunny pictures.
I just thought this was a neat picture.


Looking south towards Cape Kiwanda.

Also looking south.

It took me a long time to figure out how to hold the camera at the right angle. And no Daniel is not wearing a monocle, its a little loop on the backpack that happened to be in the wrong spot for the picture.

By the time we were about 1/4 mile from the car, I could feel Daniel's head bumping on my back with every step. So I had to snap a quick picture. This being my first hike in quite a while, especially with a 25 lb. pack on, I was envying him at this point.

3 comments:

Justyn & Courtney said...

Don't lie Jeff, you know it's a monocle. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Jeff & Emily - Another precious bundle for all of us to love, Grandma BettyLou

Kathryn said...

We love to vacation on the coast in February, and most years we hit that week of Indian Winter. It's wonderful!