I am now officially subbing full-time! On Wednesday night I got a call from the woman who I was scheduled to take over for. Her water broke at 5:30 pm and she called mesoon afterward. She must have had a hundred things on her mind because she has a 4 year old daughter, she'd been sick all week, and she wasn't due until March 7th. When she called I wasn't home so she left a message and it was about 2 minutes long. By the end of it she was running out of things to say and finally just said, "So...I think that's all, and I'm having a baby, so I've got to go." She had a healthy baby girl, Abigail Jolene, by 10:22pm. So now she is home with her baby and I have a full-time job!
I am the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) coordinator for a 4th-6th grade school in Tillamook. I work with about 60 kids that speak a language other than English as their primary language. Most of the kids speak Spanish at home, but I have two that speak Cantonese. I pull the kids out of their classrooms for 30 minutes at a time to work on ELD (English Language Development) in small groups. I am really glad that I got the opportunity to work as and ESOL specialist because normally you need a masters to be a specialist of this type, but because I'm a sub, it's not necessary. Although, I am contemplating getting my masters in this area because I really love it. I met the woman I'm subbing for through a series of classes that we are both taking to get our endorsement in ESOL. So now I'll have some practical, hands-on experiences to learn from! What a blessing!
2 comments:
That sounds like a fun job! Congratulations, Emily! Looking forward to reading more about it in the future.
-Shizuka
Yay! I'm glad it's started. I hope the experience is a good one and you enjoy doing only one job (mostly) for a while.
Post a Comment