Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I love my job

Today was one of those days that makes me stop and think about how much I love my job. First of all, we've had a couple of days this week that were nice and sunny, and after months of cloudy, rainy, Oregon Coast winter weather the sunny days are much appreciated. This afternoon I was filling a maintenance request up at the Prayer Lookout. For those of you know don't know, the Prayer Lookout is a little "house" located up on the hill above camp. Individuals can rent out the Lookout for a night or two and have their own private retreat. It's a pretty cool spot. Anyway, I had gone up the hill to make a repair and as I was finishing up I happened to look out the huge picture windows. The view from there is absolutely amazing. You can see out across the camp grounds all the way to the beach and the trees perfectly frame the Twin Rocks. Today the sky was a beautiful blue, the sun was shining, the grass was green, there were deer in the meadow below the hill, the ocean waves were steadily crashing on the beach, and the camp was quiet and peaceful. Amazing! I couldn't help but pause for a moment and just soak it in.

Later, I was working in the woodshop (what I like to do most) and had gotten to a point where I had to do some hand sanding. Since it was a nice day, we had all the shp doors open to let in the light and fresh air. It occurred to me that I didn't need to stand at the work bench and look at the wall to do my sanding, I could actually sit down for a while. So I placed my stool at the door, sat down, and as I sanded, I just watched out at the camp. The wood shop faces the meadow, woods, and hills to the east. The late afternoon sun gave a beautiful splash of yellow that lit up the trees. The deer were again in the meadow, taking advantage of the chance to graze without needing to dodge raindrops. I was so thankful that I was able to again just take in the beauty.

I can help but marvel; I get paid for this:)

No comments: