Saturday was a funny day. Mostly good, but with a few irritating moments thrown in. I think the irritating parts come from the fact that we live in a small town. Let me explain.
The day started off with me complaining because I didn't want to go into work on a Saturday morning that Jeff had off. Only every coulple of weeks will he get a Saturday off, so I wanted to make it a fun day for us. But I have recently started working a third job, so now I am subbing about 2 days a week, working 10 hrs a week on camp coordinating a free after-school care program, and working another 10 hrs as the camp directors assistant. I am also taking a 3 credit graduate course online. Really, when all the work/study hours are tallied up, I'm working about 40 hours a week, but I have recently realized that I don't switch-gears very well, and it has been difficult to go between the jobs, especially when I work more than one of them in a day.
So on Saturday morning I grudgingly made my way to camp to put in a few hours. Once I got there my mood improved though because my "office-buddy" who is technically one of my supervisors is really funny, and then Jeff came to just hang out with me, which made the time go by faster.
We had talked earlier about the need to find a bank to deposit a check. Unfortunately the nearest branch of our bank is in Lincoln City, about 45 miles away...or so we thought. We were happy about the prospect of driving to Lincoln City because it was a beautiful day and 101 is a beautiful drive. About half-way there we realized that we had not checked online to see where the bank was, but figured we would be able to spot it since Lincoln City is a 5 mile long city all on one street. When we got there we drove all the way to the southern end, then back up to the northern end without spotting it. So we pulled into a grocery store, found a payphone with a phone book, looked up the bank, and realized that the closest branch is in Newport! The bank had been the primary reason for going to Lincoln City, but we figured since we were already there we might as well make the best of it. So we walked along the beach and admired the kites, went furniture shopping, found an awesome thrift store, and then decided to get some Thai food, one of the many cuisines not offered in Tillamook.
We had seen 2 Thai restaurants on our trips up and down the city, one that looked decent and one that looked pretty nice, so we decided to splurge and go to the pretty nice one. It was a small restaurant, maybe 12 tables, and only two were occupied (It was pretty early in the evening, about 5:30...we've gotten used to eating early on camp I guess). We were seated by a window and given water, and the waitress was very kind and talkative and said "I'll be right back with your menus." About 5 minutes later we still had not gotten our menus and our waitress was nowhere in sight. So I got up and got them myself. While I was walking across the restaurant, another couple came in, was seated, and given water and menus. So we began the search for 2 entree's that we could both agree on, and everything sounded good. We were both hungry and our mouths were watering just reading the descriptions of the plates. It was all very exotic (and expensive) even for Thai food. We made our decisions, put our menus aside and waited. Soon another waiter came over to the newly arrived couple, took their order, looked our direction and walked away. Jeff and I just stared at each other. We had been sitting there for 20 minutes by that time, and no one had even attempted to serve us. So we left. We probably could have gotten somebody's attention, complained and probably recieved a free dessert, but instead we just left. We didn't want them to givethem the $40 we probably would have spent on that meal.
Thinking that Thai food still sounded good, we went to the other restaurant, and had a great time! The service was good, the food was delicious, and the price was right! To top it all off, on the way home we saw the most beautiful, neon orange harvest moon that I've ever seen. :) Just another exciting day on the Oregon coast.
No comments:
Post a Comment