Hoorah! For those of you that haven't heard, we're no longer unemployed! We're still sort of homeless, but only sort of.
During our family reunion at Twin Rocks, I interviewed for a job as the Assistant Facilities Director. It was an interesting interview process that I went through; different from any other I have had. To begin with, Emily was invited to sit in on the whole thing. The whole process took about 5 hours and began with a tour of the camp. Then we had about 2 1/2 hours of group interview time with several members of the full time camp staff including, of course, the Head Facilities Director and the Executive Camp Director. After this lengthy question and answer time we had dinner with the staff in the staff dining room and ended the night with a dessert at one of the staff houses on camp with a large portion of the full time staff and their families. It was actually a very neat experience to get to know everyone in that setting. Both Emily and I felt very comfortable with the whole group.For the next couple of days, we decided to go camping on the coast, since we had nowhere else we needed to be. We had already heard from Camp Redwood Glen that we were not selected for the camp director position down there (big surprise), so we were simply waiting for a call from Twin Rocks before we could make plans for what to do and where to go next. The coast was absolutely beautiful - not a cloud in the sky for at least two days.
After a couple of days of camping I got a phone call from the camp saying that I the job was mine if I wanted it. Emily and I talked about it and decided to accept the position. I start next Friday, 9/7/07. Emily unfortunately will not be working on camp for now, but the opportunities for substitute teaching in the area seem fairly promising. A job in the schools will be necessary for her to keep her teaching license anyway, so it should work out well.
So we will be living on the Oregon coast for a while! We're not exactly sure where just yet, but we're thinking of buying a house. Another huge step for us! For the time being we will be in a small apartment provided by the camp until we can find a more permanent place. We are both excited about the prospect of buying a house and a little nervous about taking that step. But we are confident that God will continue to provide for us.
4 comments:
Congratulations! I'm glad you had an opportunity to camp along the coast; I imagine you enjoyed that quite a bit.
Tell us more about your little apartment--where, how little, etc.
And Emily--have you applied with school districts yet?
Congratulations guys!!! I'm really happy to hear that things have worked out well for you. From what I've heard from mom, you two had a great summer. I hope this adventure at the coast goes well, too. I'll think of you often as I miss the ocean. :)
Nomads in the Western U.S. is a great discription!
Congratulations on the new job! I hope you both enjoy the adventure. I'm impressed with your(this means Emily too) decision to pursue a ministry in Christian camping. Your willingness to step out in faith, leave your jobs, and activily seek opportunities in this chosen field is a witness to your commitment. May God bless you as you seek His guidence and direction.
I'm glad to know that you have a BLOG so I can get all the news first hand. Good for you (and good for the camp!) to be working at Twin Rocks. Lots of grand events happened to me there; it will always be special to me. We have a guest room and guest bathroom, so anytime you need a bed in the valley, let me know!
Post a Comment