Monday, July 12, 2010

A vacation

Last week I left my boys behind and went on a vacation all by myself. It was quite wonderful because it was full of adult time, good food, and change of scenery, relaxation and my best friend since 5th grade, Tiffany. Tiff and I were virtually inseparable during high school, but since heading our different ways in college, we've managed to keep our friendship intact, although we go for very long stretches without seeing each other. For the last two years we've hardly seen each other at all due to short stays at "home" (aka Camp Sherman) and busy schedules, so in May we started talking about ways that I could go visit her in Massachusetts where she is a graduate student at Smith College. It worked out for me to come during her finals week, over the 4th of July.

Saying goodbye to Jeff and Daniel was tough, and my first day away was really hard, but once I got into the groove of relaxing at Tiff's house, I felt much better about my decision to take this trip. And I knew that the boys were in good hands since Roger and Louise were able to stay at our house the entire time I was gone!
Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures. I guess I was just too relaxed. It was a great trip though. It was hot, like 99 degrees, but we managed to beat the heat pretty well by heading to lakes and rivers, hanging out in breezy coffee shops, or just lounging at Tiff's house, which is remarkably comfortable due to the two big oak trees on either side that keep the house in the shade most of the day.Some of my favorite memories from the trip were meeting lots of Tiff's friends at a bbq on a beautiful little lake on the 4th of July, eating a delicious Moroccan brunch and having great conversation, consuming my yearly allotment of greasy food a fabulous burger joint, and wandering around Amherst and Northampton, soaking in all the beautiful, old, New England style architecture with plenty of iced, decaf coffee in hand.So now I feel ready to embrace the rest of my summer in Oregon, spending lots of time playing with Daniel and getting ready to greet our little boy in just a few short months.

No comments: